When you think about Maryland Blue Crabs, whether they be in a steamed form or in our delicious crab cakes, a specific seasoning will always come to mind. Old Bay Seasoning has been the seasoning Marylanders reach for whenever they plan on enjoying a crab feast. While this is no secret, there are some details about Old Bay Seasoning that even born and raised Marylanders aren’t aware of.
- Old Bay Seasoning almost didn’t happen! Why? Because Gustav Brunn, the founder of Old Bay Seasoning, was sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp for a brief period of time. Lucky for him, and the rest of us, his family was able to bribe the Nazis in letting them leave. Brunn refused to leave behind his spice grinder when he made the journey from Germany to Baltimore in 1938.
- The original name of Old Bay was supposed to be “Delicious Brand Shrimp and Crab Seasoning.” It was changed by Brunn to celebrate the steamship route used on the Bay called the Old Bay Line.
- Rumor has it that Gustav Brunn worked for McCormick & Company for a brief period of time before the spice mogul bought Old Bay in 1990.
- The Old Bay brand can also be found on cocktail and tartar sauces within the area. Local grocery stores also still contain the Old Bay sausage that was created by Roma Gourmet Sausage.
- If you’re new to the Maryland area, you may be surprised to hear the seafood spice is not limited to crabs and fish. Marylanders are quick to use Old Bay Seasoning on fries, corn, eggs, and even ice cream.
Looking for a more traditional use for Old Bay Seasoning? Expect the seasoning to highlight the signature taste of our crab cakes!
Not sure how to cook your crab cakes? Here are your steps!
- For 8-10 minutes, preheat your over at a temperature of 425 degrees.
- Use a pan without grease, using only a small amount of butter or water to cook your crab cakes on.
- Cook crab cakes for about 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Crab cakes should be firm and have a golden brown top with an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
Located in Abingdon, Maryland, our crab cakes are available year round and can be ordered online to be shipped straight to your front door. Order online here or call us at (410)-515-3662. If you ever have any questions or comments about Box Hill or our Maryland crab cakes, use our contact form here.