Next week may mark the beginning of spring, but here in Maryland, we are still getting over our first real blast of wintry snow. We know that our Maryland crab cakes are the best and truly go with every meal — but with the weather changing day to day, why not offer a great soup that can be an amazing compliment to our crab cakes in warm or cold weather? We recommend our Box Hill special recipe for preparing our fantastic and delicious crab cakes, but check out this wonderful recipe for sweet corn soup! It can be served hot for those freezing days, or chilled for when the warmth of summer hits. There are even perfect wines to pair with the recipe, depending upon the season. The only necessity are our Maryland crab cakes!
Sweet Corn Soup, Paired with Maryland Crab Cakes
For this wonderful recipe, you’ll only need a few ingredients:
- 10 ears sweet corn
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, olive oil, or butter
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 medium potato
- 4 cups water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Optional garnishes: diced roasted green chile, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomato, crumbled cotija cheese
And preparation isn’t too time consuming, either. Luckily, with Box Hill’s renowned shipping methods, you can have our delicious crab cakes sent right to your door, leaving more time to prepare your sweet corn soup and side dishes!
- Shuck the corn individually.
- Using a large hole grater nestled in a very large bowl, grate off the corn kernels from the cobs. Use the blunt side of a knife blade to scrape any remaining liquid and corn niblets into the bowl after you grate each cob. Set aside this raw corn puree.
- Peel and chop the onions. In a large pot, heat the oil or butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions wilt. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potato. Add the potato and water or broth to the pot, then bring to a boil. Cook until the onions and potatoes are very soft, then add the corn purée. Cook until everything is heated through, which should only take a few minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor (do this in small batches to avoid splashes and burns and cover the top with a clean kitchen towel to catch any hot splatters).
- Add salt to taste. (Do this at the temperature at which you plan to serve the soup; chilled soup will need more salt than hot soup because cold dulls flavor.) Note that you will need to add a fair amount of salt if you used water as your base liquid. Keep adding salt, about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, and tasting until you notice a jump in the corny flavor.
- Garnish with roasted chile, avocado, tomato, cilantro, or cheese, if you like.
- Serve beside your delicious Box Hill Maryland crab cakes!
Ready to Try Our Award Winning Crab Cakes?
Box Hill Crab Cakes is your source for the freshest, most authentic Maryland crab cakes—and our unique shipping makes it effortless to have them right at your door! Our top-secret family recipe has been fine-tuned for decades and we guarantee you will love them. Visit us online to place your order or give us a call at 410-515-3662. Want to get recipe ideas, updates, and information on sales? Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Trip Advisor, YouTube, and Twitter.Order Today!